Tue, 5/23: 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM PDT
Phoenix Convention Center
Room: Nexus Lounge, North 227 B
CM Credit Hours: 1
Proficiency testing schemes are an essential quality assurance measure in analytical testing and are recognized in ISO standards. This presentation provides an overview of proficiency testing schemes and their implementation at the Institute for Occupational Safety and Health in Sankt Augustin, Germany. The presentation outlines the creation of dynamic test gases, their control through online-thermo desorption (TD)-gas chromatography (GC) and selected ion flow tube-mass spectrometry (SIFT-MS), and the benefits of MS-real time control.
The process of establishing a new reference material (RM) for high-molecular weight (HMW) polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) will be presented to give an example of how to develop a new RM for use in proficiency testing schemes. An RM for HMW PAHs is necessary to include these compounds in routine analysis since the currently analyzed PAHs mainly consist of low-molecular weight PAHs, which may not fully represent a sample's carcinogenic potential. The presentation will show the method development for GC and HPLC, the production process design, and the latest results obtained by analysis of the RM in several international laboratories.
1. Illustrate the variety of different methods for the determination of comparability between laboratories
2. Develop an approach towards the establishment of a reference material
3. Identify research needs and anticipate future methods for the creation of reference material / proficiency testing
4. Strengthen the knowledge about online control methods
5. Interpret data obtained in round-robin tests
Sampling and Analysis